As you may have noticed, I am about 3 months and 30 thoughts behind in keeping with this blog. My mom's birthday was last Tuesday so I thought I'd dedicate this one to her. No, I'm not late in wishing her a 'happy birthday', just late in letting you know about it.
As you may not know Mom has always liked music. She would always play the piano for us kids and make up songs with our names inserted as if they were written just for us and all of us brothers learned to play an instrument or two.
Growing up in the 70s, people liked to buy electronics combined with furniture and they were so heavy, they could not be moved unless absolutely necessary. Our home was no different as we had the 'living room stereo/picture frame holder hutch" It was about 6 feet long, 3 feet tall, and seemed to weigh 800lbs. It was terrible if you lost a toy behind it for it was not readily retrievable without multiple brother help. This magnificent piece of acoustical furniture featured a state of the art 4 button, 8-track player with 6 tape storage, in the middle was a large vertical radio with a 3 inch dial to smoothly run the arm up and down the dial, and on the right was the record player.
We had many fun times with that old stereo. I can remember having many records with the likes of: Eternal Echoes, BJ Thomas, Elvis, Tom Jones, Grease soundtrack, Star Wars-Empire Strikes Back Soundtrack, Statler Brothers, ABBA, Lowell Lundstrum, Johny Cash, Burrel Ives, and Anne Murray. Ooohhh...Anne Murray...any time that smooth, alto voice would grace the halls of our house, Mom would be heard singing along. It was remarkable at how much mom would sound just like Anne Murray.
So here's to you, Mom. Anne Murray from 1973. Thanks for the memories and Happy Birthday..last week.
Your #1 Son.
1 comment:
thanks "#1 son" - actually "Snowbird" was one of my all time favorites of Anne Murray - along with "You Needed me", "Danny's song", "He thinks I still care", "Could I have this Dance"- I think you get the picture - I loved all of her songs and maybe it was because; like you said she sang in my range : )We did have a lot of fun with music in the home - I remember making up songs to the tune of "doctor, doctor can you tell" one I especially remember is when one of you boys had the chicken pox- well this is turning into a blog of its own :)so thanks again, it makes getting older easier when I have such a great family...
Post a Comment